Skip to main content

FEATURED POST

I Tried Learning Python on SoloLearn for 30 Days

  I Tried Learning Python on My Phone for 30 Days—Here’s What Happened I have always found something fascinating about the idea of learning a skill from a phone. We carry these little devices everywhere. We use them to check Facebook, watch videos, listen to music, take photographs, send money and argue about football. But somewhere inside that same device is the potential to learn skills that could change the direction of someone's life. That thought made me curious about SoloLearn. Could I actually begin learning programming using my phone? Not just watch somebody else writing code on YouTube. Not read an article about Python. I wanted to actually sit down, follow lessons, write code, make mistakes and see whether anything would stick. So I decided to give myself a challenge: 30 days of learning Python with SoloLearn. I wasn't expecting to become a software engineer in a month. I simply wanted to find out what happens when an ordinary beginner decides to ta...

I Tried Learning Python on SoloLearn for 30 Days

 

I Tried Learning Python on My Phone for 30 Days—Here’s What Happened



I have always found something fascinating about the idea of learning a skill from a phone.

We carry these little devices everywhere. We use them to check Facebook, watch videos, listen to music, take photographs, send money and argue about football. But somewhere inside that same device is the potential to learn skills that could change the direction of someone's life.

That thought made me curious about SoloLearn.

Could I actually begin learning programming using my phone?

Not just watch somebody else writing code on YouTube. Not read an article about Python. I wanted to actually sit down, follow lessons, write code, make mistakes and see whether anything would stick.

So I decided to give myself a challenge: 30 days of learning Python with SoloLearn.

I wasn't expecting to become a software engineer in a month. I simply wanted to find out what happens when an ordinary beginner decides to take programming seriously, one small lesson at a time.

My first encounter with Python

Before starting, programming had always seemed like one of those things that was easier to admire from a distance.

You see programmers typing lines of code and somehow making websites, applications and artificial intelligence work. To someone looking from the outside, it can feel like they are speaking a language that the rest of us were never taught.

Then you try it yourself.

My first lessons introduced some of the basic building blocks of Python—things such as variables, data types, operators and simple instructions.

Some exercises were easy enough to make me wonder why I had been intimidated by programming in the first place.

Then came the exercises that made me stare at the screen for longer than I expected.

That was when I realised something important.

Learning to code isn't really about being clever. It is about being willing to stay with a problem until you understand it.

The little mistakes became part of the lesson

One of the things I quickly discovered was that computers have absolutely no interest in what you meant to type.

If you make a mistake, the computer doesn't politely say, "I think you meant this."

It simply refuses to cooperate.

A missing bracket, an incorrectly written command or a small mistake in the structure of the code can be enough to stop everything.

At first, that can be frustrating.

But after a while, something changes.

Instead of immediately thinking, "I can't do this," you start asking, "Where did I go wrong?"

You read the code again. You experiment. You change something. You run it again.

Sometimes you get it right.

Sometimes you don't.

And then you try again.

That may sound like a small thing, but I think it is one of the most valuable lessons programming can teach anyone. Failure becomes information.

Why learning on a phone surprised me

I expected the phone to be a major disadvantage.

Surprisingly, it wasn't—not at the beginning.

The biggest advantage was convenience.

I didn't need to sit at a desk with a laptop before I could learn. If I had a few minutes available, I could open the app and continue from where I stopped.

For a student who has never owned a computer, that matters.

For a teacher trying to learn a new digital skill, it matters.

For a young person who wants to enter the technology industry but doesn't have money for expensive training, it matters even more.

The phone may not be the perfect programming environment, but it can lower the barrier to getting started.

And sometimes the biggest barrier isn't lack of intelligence.

It is simply not knowing where to begin.

But here is where reality kicks in

I don't want to make SoloLearn sound like a magic shortcut.

It isn't.

There is a point where learning on a phone becomes limiting.

As your programmes become more complicated, you eventually want a proper computer, a larger screen, better development tools and the freedom to work on bigger projects.

There is also another problem that has nothing to do with the app.

It is very easy to confuse completing lessons with actually knowing how to code.

You can move through lessons, answer questions correctly and collect certificates without necessarily being able to sit down and build something useful from scratch.

That is why I believe the real test comes after the lesson.

Close the app.

Open your editor.

Try to build something yourself.

That is where things become interesting.

So, did 30 days make me a programmer?

No.

And I think it is important to say that.

Thirty days is nowhere near enough time to become an experienced programmer.

But something else happened.

Programming stopped feeling so distant.

Before the experiment, code was something I associated with people who had studied computer science or spent years working in technology.

After spending time learning the basics, I began looking at code differently.

It was still challenging, but it wasn't mysterious anymore.

I could recognise some of the things I was seeing. I understood why certain instructions were being used. I could follow the logic behind simple programmes.

That is progress.

Maybe not the kind of progress that makes an impressive LinkedIn post, but the kind that makes you want to keep learning.

The real question isn't whether SoloLearn can make you a programmer

I think we sometimes ask the wrong question about learning apps.

We ask, "Can this app make me a programmer?"

A better question might be:

"Can this app make me curious enough to become one?"

For a beginner, that is a much more realistic starting point.

SoloLearn gives you a structured way to encounter programming and practise the fundamentals. But the learner has to take responsibility for what comes next.

Learn Python, then build something.

Learn HTML and CSS, then create a website.

Learn JavaScript, then make a small interactive project.

Make mistakes.

Search for answers.

Read documentation.

Ask questions.

Build again.

That is how an app eventually becomes part of a much bigger learning journey.

What this means for African learners

This is perhaps the part of the experiment that interested me most.

Across Africa, there are young people who are curious about technology but don't necessarily have access to expensive courses, universities or powerful computers.

That doesn't mean they lack ambition.

Sometimes they simply lack an entry point.

A smartphone can provide one.

It won't solve every problem. Internet costs, access to reliable devices, electricity, digital literacy and the quality of learning resources remain real challenges.

But we should not underestimate the educational possibilities of the technology already sitting in people's hands.

A smartphone doesn't have to be only a window into entertainment.

It can also be a window into opportunity.

My verdict after 30 days

Would I recommend SoloLearn to someone who wants to start learning programming?

Yes—but with realistic expectations.

Don't download it expecting to become a professional developer after completing a few courses.

Download it if you are curious.

Use it if you need somewhere to start.

Practise when you can.

And, most importantly, don't stop at the lessons.

Take what you learn and build something.

Because eventually, the real question isn't whether you completed another coding exercise.

It is whether you can look at your screen and say:

"I built this."

For me, that is where the real journey begins.

Author: Rodgers Mangwela

Comments

Popular Posts

How to Start Learning Online: A Step-by-Step edX Guide for Beginners

  Breaking the Barrier: Your Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide to Online Learning via edX Imagine standing at the iron gates of Harvard University, walking through the storied halls of MIT, or sitting in a lecture at Oxford. For most of history, these experiences were reserved for a tiny fraction of the global population those with the right zip code, the right bank account, or the right connections. But the digital age has staged a quiet coup. Today, those same world-class lecture halls are open to you, regardless of your past experience or current location. The "ivory tower" has been replaced by the glowing screen of your smartphone or laptop. If you have never taken an online course, the sheer volume of choices can feel like standing in front of a library where all the books are shouting at once. You might feel "too late" to the party or worried that you lack the technical "know-how" to even sign up. Let’s clear the air:  Online learning is not a test of y...

Is Kabwe Ready for the Future of Education?

  The AI Classroom Has Arrived in Zambia — But Is Kabwe Ready? A student in Kabwe can now ask an artificial intelligence chatbot to explain algebra, rewrite an essay, generate revision questions or summarise a difficult science topic in seconds. The student may never have entered a university library. The school may not have enough textbooks. The computer laboratory may have limited equipment. Internet access may be expensive or unreliable. Yet the machine in the student's hand can suddenly open a door to an enormous world of information. This is the paradox at the centre of Zambia's AI education story. The technology is moving faster than the classroom. Across the world, students are already experimenting with artificial intelligence. The 2024 International Student Barometer data discussed by ICEF Monitor found that 57% of enrolled students surveyed used AI tools, while 26% said they used them daily. Among international students at European institutions, reported us...